Tuesday 16 August 2011

Roddick exits early from Cincinnati


Andy Roddick crashed out in the first round of the Western and Southern Open in Cincinnati at the hands of Germany's Phillipp Kohlschreiber.

Roddick took the first set 7-6(5) on tie-break before losing the next two 7-5 and 6-1 in a match that saw him warned for throwing his racket and being penalised a point for hitting the ball into the stands.

Having already been warned for slamming his racket to the ground, he was penalised for hitting a ball into the stands and the former US Open champion never recovered and was left seething after the match.

The popular right-hander admitted that he had gone too far but felt the umpire had over-reacted to the incident.

"Obviously it's a split second thing, as soon as I did it I wanted it back," he said. "It was a judgement call for the umpire. I am pretty sure I saw an eight-year-old girl catch it on the way down. He was telling me I hit it as hard as I could."

And the Texan was annoyed that he threw away a chance for some much-needed practice ahead of the years' final 'Slam.

"It just sucks," he added. "I can't blame him, but I'm sitting here turning a six-week injury into a three-week injury, rehabbing eight hours a day, and a split second decision he interjects himself and it's done."

No comments:

Post a Comment